Need help creating an epic bucket list for Australia? You’ve come to the right place! From snorkelling the Great Barrier Reef to road-tripping along the Great Ocean Road, there are so many awesome things to do in Australia! We’ve got 150 must-do experiences to add to your Australian Bucket List and start ticking off in 2023!
Are you planning a trip to Australia in 2023? Or perhaps you’re already travelling or living in Australia and you’re looking for some inspiration on the best Australian tourist attractions to visit.
We love living in Australia. It is truely an amazing country, and there are so many epic bucket list experinces to be had in this island nation.
As two travel-loving Aussies who have journeyed extensively within our home country, we’ve decided to create a huge list of things to tick off your bucket list in Australia, to help you with some ideas to add to you own list.
Be warned though – it might take a looooooong time to tick off ALL these experiences in Australia. If you live in Australia or are travelling for ane extended period, you will probably be able to tick all these experiences off. But if you’re only visiting for a short time, you can use these Australia bucket list ideas as inspiration to pick and choose which activities in Australia you want to add to your own itinerary! Perhaps you’ll have to come back and finish the list another time!
Lets dive right in…
This big Australian Bucket List details all the best experiences in every state of Australia!
No time to read this now? Pin it for later!
Did You Know? When you click through and make a purchase or book your stay from one of our blog posts, we are rewarded with a small commission (at no extra cost to you) that helps to keep our blog running. Thank you for supporting us! Please see our Disclosure Policy for more details.
In This Post:
150 Australian Bucket List Experiences
If you don’t have time to read all 130 bucket list things to do in Australia, then we’ve put together a handy two-page checklist for you to download instead – take it with you on your next trip and tick off items as you go!
Click here to head to our resource library and download the Australia Bucket List now or keep on reading to learn more information about each recommendation.
To make things easier, we’ve broken down this Australian bucket list by each state. Let’s dive right in…
Queensland Bucket List
To kick off this bucket list for Australia, we’ve started with our home state! Queensland is (in our opinion), the most beautiful state in Australia.
From the stunning Whitsundays and Great Barrier Reef marine park to the iconic high rises of the Gold Coast and some amazing hidden gems that most tourists don’t know about. Here are 30 ideas to add to your Queensland bucket list in Australia:
- Take a seaplane ride over Heart Reef in the Whitsundays
- Chill out in Port Douglas
- Go hiking in the Glass House Mountains
- Take a boat cruise to Whitehaven Beach
- Cuddle a koala at Lone Pine Sanctuary
- Go snorkelling or diving at Lady Elliot Island
- Go four-wheel driving along the beach on Fraser Island
- Explore the Daintree Rainforest and Cape Tribulation
- Go surfing at the Gold Coast
- See crocodiles at Australia Zoo
- Go kayaking around the Tangalooma Shipwrecks on Moreton Island
- Go hiking along the coastal trail in Noosa National Park
- Ride a golf buggy around Hamilton Island
- See the Big Pineapple
- Experience the Tamborine Rainforest Skywalk at Mount Tamborine, Gold Coast hinterland
- Visit waterfalls and tea plantations in the Atherton Tablelands
- Road trip to the tip of Cape York
- Lap up luxury on Hayman Island
- Go kayaking through the Noosa Everglades
- Surf the Gold Coast waterways on a flite board
- Chill out at Mission Beach
- Hike through Carnarvon Gorge
- Explore the diverse Queensland outback at Mount Mulligan Lodge
- Go hiking on Hinchinbrook Island
- Summit the peak of Fitzroy Island at sunrise
- Go glamping on a pontoon on the Great Barrier Reef
- Swim with humpback whales on the Sunshine Coast with Sunreef (one of the only operators in Australia that are approved to offer swimming with humpbacks)
- Drive a Mini Moke around Magnetic Island
- Relax on the stunning beaches of the Sunshine Coast – some of our faves include Coolum Beach, Noosa Main Beach, Mooloolaba Beach, and Alexandra Headland.
- Climb to the top of the Story Bridge in Brisbane
- Go hiking in Lamington National Park
More Queensland articles you may be interested in:
- 15 Best Weekend Getaways from Brisbane for Couples
- 15 Incredible Queensland Island Holidays & Resorts for Your Next Vacay
- The 10 Best Airbnbs in Cairns
- The Ultimate Guide to Hayman Island
- A Weekend Guide to Noosa: Where to Stay, What to Do + Where to Eat & Drink
- The Ultimate Guide to Port Douglas
- 10 Best Beaches on the Sunshine Coast, Queensland
- How to See Tangalooma Wrecks on Moreton Island
- 20 Photos to Inspire You to Visit the Great Barrier Reef
- A Guide to Visiting Hamilton Island in the Whitsundays
NSW Bucket List
When it comes to ticking off Australian Bucket List experiences, New South Wales (NSW) is a great place to start. Most visitors tend to arrive in Sydney, which is the capital of NSW, so there are a ton of NSW Bucket List experiences that are located very close to Australia’s largest city. Here are the best Australia sightseeing spots to visit in NSW:
- Go on a Sydney to Brisbane road trip (or vice versa)
- Take a helicopter ride over Sydney Harbour
- Go skiing at Thredbo in the Australian Alps
- Wander along the coastal walk from Bondi to Coogee
- Enjoy happy hour at the Opera Bar in Sydney
- Take a balloon ride over the Hunter Valley vineyards
- Go hiking or canyoning in the Blue Mountains
- Wander around The Rocks Historical Walk in Sydney
- Go sand boarding on Stockton Beach Sand Dunes
- Take a dip in Australia’s most famous beach – Bondi Beach
- Visit Cape Byron Lighthouse in Byron Bay
- Conquer the Sydney Harbour Bridge Climb
- Go hiking at Royal National Park
- Take a snap with the Big Banana at Coffs Harbour
- Catch the ferry from Circular Quay to Manly
- Follow the Silo Art Trail in the NSW Wheatbelt
- Play in the sand dunes at Mungo National Park
- Swim laps at Icebergs Bondi Ocean pool
- Enjoy 360-degree views at Sydney Tower Eye
- Hike to the summit of Mount Kosciusko (Australia’s highest peak)
- Visit Taronga Zoo in Sydney
- See the Dog on the Tucker Box in Gundagai
- Visit Heritage-listed Lord Howe Island
- Visit Hyams Beach at Jervis Bay
- See a show at the Sydney Opera House
- Go hiking at gaze at the stars in the Warrumbungle National Park
- Visit NSW’s best wine and food region on a road trip through Orange, Mudgee and Dubbo
- Drive the Grand Pacific Drive and check out the views from the Sea Cliff Bridge near Kiama
- Drive along the Waterfall Way from Coffs Harbour to Armadale
- Explore the Jenolan Caves in the Blue Mountains National Park
More NSW articles you may be interested in:
Victoria Bucket List
Victoria is a small state by land size but it packs a big punch when it comes to bucket list places in Australia! Melbourne (capital city of Victoria) is Australia’s second-largest city and the heart of the country’s cultural and sporting scene. Here are the best bucket list experiences located in Victoria:
- Snap a pic at Brighton Beach Boxes
- Go road-tripping along the Great Ocean Road to see the Twelve Apostles, Loch Ard Gorge, and London Bridge rock formations
- Enjoy a wine tasting trip through the Yarra Valley
- Get lost in Melbourne’s labyrinth of laneways
- Ride a paddle steamer down the Murray River
- Go hiking in the Grampians National Park
- Check out the surf at Bells Beach
- Watch a cricket match at the MCG
- Go kayaking in Mallacoota
- Visit the foodie haven, Queen Victoria Market
- Take in the vistas during a drive along the Great Alpine Road
- Follow the Silo Art Trail through the Victorian countryside
- Wine, dine and bath your way to relaxation at the Mornington Peninsula
- Hike the 1000 Steps (Kokoda Track Memorial Walk) in the Dandenong Ranges
- Watch an Australian Open at the Rod Laver Arena
- Visit Luna Park at St Kilda
- Relax in the hot springs at Daylesford
- Go ziplining at Great Otway National Park
- Step back to the gold rush time at Sovereign Hill
- Go skiing in the Victorian Alps
- See fairy penguins at Phillip Island’s Penguin Parade
- Go hiking at Wilson’s Promontory National Park
More Victoria articles you may be interested in:
Tasmania Bucket List
Tasmania is one of our favourite states in Australia, and possibly the most underrated! It’s a place that is celebrated for its extreme natural beauty, remote wilderness, and great food and wine – so, it’s not surprising that most of these Tasmania bucket list items are based around nature:
- Enjoy the views from Wineglass Bay Lookout in Freycinet National Park
- Learn the historical significance of Port Arthur Convict Settlement
- Enjoy the wonderful and wacky exhibitions at MONA Museum in Hobart
- Go on a self-guided food trail on Bruny Island
- Go hiking in Cradle Mountain National Park
- Cruise along the Bay of Fires on an iconic boat cruise
- See the Aurora Australis from Mount Wellington
- Shop at the Salamanca Markets in Hobart
- Try oyster farming at Freycinet Marine Farm in Coles Bay
- Go wine tasting in the Tamar Valley
- Mountain bike the Blue Derby trails
- See an abundance of wildlife on Maria Island
- Take chair lift across Cataract Gorge in Launceston
- Go glamping at the Bay of Fires
More Tasmania articles you may be interested in:
South Australia Bucket List
One of the lesser-visited states in Australia has a lot to offer in terms of unique bucket list experiences. Here are the best activities in Australia to experience when you visit South Australia:
- Visit beautiful Kangaroo Island
- Go on a wine tasting tour of the Barossa Valley
- Stay in an underground hotel in Coober Pedy
- Go hiking at Wilpena Pound and the Flinders Ranges
- Visit the d’Arenberg Cube at McLaren Vale
- Road trip along the Fleurieu Peninsula
- Go hiking in Flinders Chase National Park
- Climb into the beach caves at Willunga Beach
- Escape the city and go wine tasting in the Adelaide Hills
- Go (cage) diving with great white sharks at Port Lincoln
- Visit Umpherston Sinkhole in Mount Gambier
- Drive across the Nullarbor Plain and see the Great Australian Bight
Western Australia Bucket List
The biggest and most remote state in Australia is renowned for its incredible natural beauty. From white sand beaches, spectacular coral reefs, striking red ochre desert landscapes, and pink lakes galore. Here are the best things to do in Western Australia:
- Swim with whale sharks at Ningaloo Reef
- Wander through The Pinnacles rock formations
- See the stunning pink waters at Hutt Lagoon
- Enjoy a food and wine trail at Margaret River
- Snap a Quokka selfie at Rottnest Island
- Take a sunset camel ride along Cable Beach
- Go on a scenic flight over the Bungle Bungles in Purnululu National Park
- See the crab migration at Christmas Island
- Road Trip along the Gibb River Road
- Ride a boat through the rapids of the Horizontal Falls
- Swim at Cottesloe Beach in Fremantle
- See the bright pink hue of Lake Hillier
- Climb to the top of Frenchman’s Peak at Cape Le Grand National Park
- Climb the Gloucester Tree at Pemberton
- Visit Wave Rock
- See the staircase to the moon in Broome
- Road trip along the beaches of Esperance
- Have a picnic in Kings Park in Perth
- Play with kangaroos on the beach in Lucky Bay
- See the contrast of red cliffs and white sand beaches at Cape Leveque on the Dampier Peninsula
- Explore the gorges and hot springs at El Questro
- Take a dip in the freshwater pools at Karijini National Park
More Western Australia articles you may be interested in:
Northern Territory Bucket List
The Northern Territory offers perhaps the most quintessential Australian experiences of any state in the country. With a strong indigenous culture, amazing landscapes and the home of one of Australia’s most famous movie characters – Mick Dundee.
Visiting these Northern Territory hotspots is a must to tick off your bucket list in Australia:
- Take a helicopter flight over Jim Jim Falls in the wet season
- Enjoy a sunset drink overlooking Ayers Rock
- Hike the Kings Canyon Rim Trail
- Journey through the centre of Australia on The Ghan Train
- Watch the sunset over Kakadu National Park from Ubirr
- Swim in a natural waterhole at Kakadu National Park (top of Gunlom Falls)
- Grab a bite to eat at Mindil Beach Sunset Markets
- Dive with crocs at Crocosaurus Cove
- Road trip through the West McDonnell Ranges
- Explore the natural beauty of Arnhem Land
- Take a boat cruise through Nitmulik Gorge in Katherine
- Learn about indigenous culture in the Tiwi Islands
- See the Field of Light artwork at Uluṟu
- See crocs in the wild on a sunrise cruise at Yellow Water Billabong
- Swim in the freshwater pools at Litchfield National Park
More Northern Territory articles you may be interested in:
ACT Bucket List
You can’t really say you’ve ticketed off most bucket list places in Australia until you’ve visited Australia’s capital city and the home of the Australian government. The Australian Capital Territory might be the smallest territory in Australia but it packs a big punch.
Here are some essential Aussie bucket list experiences to have in the ACT:
- Learn about Australia’s democracy at Parliament House
- Learn about the ANZACs at the Australian War Memorial
- Visit the National Museum of Australia
- Visit the Questacon Science Museum
Have we missed a spot? Can you recommend any other great Australia Bucket List ideas for other visitors to check out, let us know in the comments below!
Map of Australian Bucket List Items
We’ve created a handy Australia Bucket List Map to help you plan your trip! The map is accessible via Google Maps so you can save to your phone and access it on-the-go using the Google Maps app.
The map features all the best things to see in Australia including all the bucket list ideas mentioned in this article!
To get free access to this map and use it on-the-go, click here to sign up for our Travel Resource Library. Plus, you’ll get access to tons of other useful freebies such as packing lists, destination bucket lists, and itineraries.
Why not check out our other travel bucket lists from amazing destinations around the world?
Download This Australia Bucket List for FREE!
Subscribe to our monthly newsletter and as a special bonus only available to subscribers, you’ll get free access to our printable Australia Bucket List!
You’ll also get exclusive access to a ton of free and useful travel resources including printable bucket lists, travel packing and preparation checklists, detailed travel itineraries, and detailed maps to access on-the-go directly from the Google Maps app on your phone!
Enter your details below (don’t worry, we won’t spam you) and check your inbox for more details!
Ready to Book Your Trip to Australia?
Australia is one of the world’s top Bucket List Destinations. With so much natural beauty, it’s unlike anywhere else in the world. Now we’ve given you over 150 reasons to book your Australia bucket list trip ASAP!
To make the most of your trip, be sure to check out current travel advice and restrictions by visiting the official Tourism Australia website. Also, don’t forget to take a look at our other Australia travel blog articles for some more trip inspiration.
Have a great trip to Australia!
Feeling inspired? Here are 10 amazing destinations you must add to your Travel Bucket List!
About the Author:
Amanda Twine is the founder and creator of Bucket List Seekers – a luxury travel blog sharing informative travel guides, food guides, hotel reviews, itineraries, and tips about how to make luxury travel more affordable.