I absolutely adore Italy! It’s one of those countries I can see myself visiting again and again. I love the islands, the beaches, the mountains, ancient buildings, artworks, and cobblestone streets (sigh).
But one of the best things about Italy is the food. Pizza, pasta, gelato… one could easily visit for the food alone! But after reading this Italy bucket list, you’ll have 101 extra reasons to visit Italy.
From visiting centuries old ruins and hidden gems, to stunning hikes and exploring some of the most beautiful cities in the country – this Italian Bucket List uncovers the absolute best things to do in Italy from top to toe… so, let’s dive right in!
Here are 101 Bucket List Things to do in Italy TO DOWNLOAD FOR YOUR NEXT TRIP!
No time to read this now? Pin it for later!
Did You Know? We use ads to help pay the bills so we can continue to publish free travel advice. We also have affiliate partnerships, so when you click through and make a purchase or book your stay from one of our blog posts, we may receive a small commission (at no extra cost to you). Thank you for supporting Bucket List Seekers! Read our Disclosure Policy for more details.
In This Post:
101 Best Things to do in Italy
If you don’t have time to read all 101 of these best things to do in Italy right now, don’t worry. We totally understand. We’ve put together a handy two-page checklist for you to download instead – take it with you on your next trip and tick off items as you go!
Click here to head to our resource library and download the Italy Bucket List now or keep on reading to learn more information about each recommendation.
We’ve broken down these fun things to do in Italy by the different regions to make things easier for you to plan your own Italy trip.
Northern Italy Bucket List
- Go hiking in the Dolomites and stay in quaint log cabins
- Book tickets to see an authentic Italian Opera at the Teatro alla Scala in Milan
- Cruise the shores of Lake Como in a traditional Italian Riva boat – George Clooney style
- Devour authentic tagliatelle al ragu (the Italian version of Spaghetti Bolognese) in Bologna – the town where the dish originated
- Get lost in the labyrinth of cobblestone laneways and narrow canals in Venice
- Take a tour through the stunning white marble constructed Duomo di Milano (Cathedral of Milan)
- Climb to the top of the leaning towers of Bologna (Two Towers of Bologna)
- Ride the cable car to the top of Alpe di Suisi and admire the stunning panoramas of the Dolomites
- Take a wander around the island of Burano and admire the rainbow buildings
- Carve up the slopes of Mount Paganella in Trentino – Italy’s skiers paradise
- Visit the Ferrari Museum in Maranello and take a Ferrari for a drive through the hills
- Stay in a luxury Villa on Lake Como
- Float through the canals of Venice in a gondola while being serenaded by your private Gondolier
- Admire the quirky modern artworks at the Peggy Guggenheim Museum in Venice
- Catch an opera at Verona’s Arena
- Take a tour through the Doge’s Palace in Venice and admire the Gothic architecture
- Climb the well-preserved turrets of Rocca Scaligera Castle in Sirmione on the shores of Lake Garda
- Admire the world’s most famous painting Leonardo da Vinci’s The Last Supper hanging on the walls of the dining room of Santa Maria delle Grazie in Milan
- Visit Juliet’s balcony in Verona and leave a love letter in the wall
- Learn about ancient history and Byzantine architecture on a tour through St. Mark’s Basilica in Venice
- Go shopping for Italian designer goods at the boutiques of Milan
- Dine at Italy’s premier Michelin-starred restaurant Osteria Francescana (if you can secure a booking)
- Climb the cobblestone streets and shop in artisan stores of Bellagio, a quaint town along the shores of Lake Como
- Buy an ancient paperback (or take a photo) at the Insta-famous Aqua Alta Bookstore in Venice
- Get dressed up in elaborate masks and traditional costume at the Carnival in Venice (held in February)
- Take a tour through a parmesan cheese factory in Parmigiano Reggiano
- Go hunting for truffles in Emilia Romagna
- Ride up the top of the Mole Antonelliania the National Museum of Cinema in Turin
- Taste the many different types of balsamic vinegar in Modena
- Eat like a Venetian in Venice and try some cicchetti (tapas) at a local bacaro (wine bar) in the Jewish Quarter
- Take a boat ride on beautiful Lake Garda
- Hike to the Santurio Madonna Della Corona – the chapel that hangs on a cliffside
Central Italy Bucket List
- Wander across the Ponte Vecchio Bridge in Florence
- See Michelangelo’s statue of David at Accademia Gallery in Florence
- Learn how to cook authentic Italian dishes at a cooking class in Tuscany
- Go wine tasting at ancient vineyards in Chianti
- Take an underground tour through the Colosseum and learn about its gruesome history
- Wander through the Imperial ruins at the Roman Forum and Palatine Hill in Rome
- Visit the beautiful town of Cortona made famous in “Under the Tuscan Sun”
- See the sunset over Florence from Piazzale Michelangelo
- Indulge in a stay at an agriturismo (farm stay) in Tuscany
- Explore the historic UNESCO town of Pienza overlooking the famous Val d’Orcia in Tuscany
- Admire the amazing artworks by great Italian artists such as Botticelli, Giotto, Cimabue, Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and Raffaello at the Uffizi Gallery in Florence
- Do as the Romans do and wander the streets of Rome in the evening
- Visit the Vatican Museum and see the ancient Roman sculptures and gaze up at Michelangelo’s ceiling in the Sistine Chapel
- Frolic in the sunflower fields in Umbria when in full bloom (June-August)
- Eat gelato for breakfast, lunch, and dinner at some of the best gelato shops in Rome
- Wander through the Wisteria Tunnel at the Bardini Gardens in Florence
- Do a food tour through Mercato di Tesstaccio, Rome’s oldest food markets
- Visit the walled medieval hill town of San Gimignano in Siena, Tuscany
- Toss a coin into the most famous fountain in the world – Trevi Fountain and make a wish
- Take a dip in the Insta-famous milky blue waters of Terme di Saturina hot springs in Tuscany
- Step back in time and explore Italy’s loveliest medieval city – Siena in Tuscany
- Wander through Rome’s Trastevere neighbourhood and experience local modern-day Roman culture
- Spend a day sunbathing on a boat on the Amalfi Coast
- Hike the coastal path that connects the five gorgeous seaside villages of the Cinque Terre
- Visit the UNESCO World Heritage Sites Villa d’Este and Hadrian’s Villa in Tivoli
- Capture cheesy tourist photos with the Leaning Tower of Pisa
- Hike along one of Italy’s most picturesque trails from Portofino to San Fruttuoso on the Italian Riviera
- Take a road trip through the rolling hills of Val d’Orcia in Tuscany
- Climb the dome of St. Peter’s Basilica and gaze out over St. Peter’s Square
- View two nation-states and one country through the Aventine Keyhole
- Enjoy a carb-loaded pasta lunch with wine in the Piazza Navona in Rome
- Walk, run, play or capture a photo on the Spanish Steps but don’t sit on them (it’s illegal)
- Visit the Bargello Mueseum in Florence and admire world famous Renaissence sculptures by Michelangelo, Donatello, Cellini and other famous artists
- Take a wander through the beautiful galleries and gardens of Villa Borghese in Rome
- Shop for fresh produce at the mercato in Campo de’ Fiori
Southern Italy Bucket List
- Try the world’s best pizza in Naples
- Hike to the top of Mount Vesuvius, the volcano that destroyed Pompeii in AD79
- Swim at the Insta-famous Lama Monachile Beach in Polignano a Mare
- Go sailing along the Amalfi Coast
- Dine at Ristorante Grotta Palazzese – the restaurant inside a cave in Bari
- Enjoy a classic aperitivo while admiring the seaside views in Positano
- Ride a Vespa along the Amalfi Coast’s Road of 1,000 bends, one of the best road trip routes in the world for couples!
- Spend the night in a cliffside hotel in Positano
- Go underground and explore the catacombs of Naples
- Take a road trip through the white-washed hill towns of Puglia, the heel of Italy’s boot
- Explore the mysterious 13th century citadel and castle Castel del Monte in Andria
- Stay in a luxury cave hotel in Matera
- Explore the ancient ruins of Pompeii, Italy’s most famous archeological site
- Wander through the trulli of Alberobello UNESCO World Heritage Site – a collection of traditional Apulian houses with whitewashed walls and conical stone roofs
- Explore the ancient Paleolithic cave dwellings of Sassi di Matera (Sasso Caveoso and Sasso Barisano)
- Sunbathe at one of the famous beach clubs in Positano
- Hike the Path of the Gods (Sentiero Degli Dei) clifftop trail above the Amalfi Coast and admire the spectacular scenery
Italian Islands Bucket List
- Dive into the crystal-clear waters of Sardinia and experience heaven on earth
- Go on a cruise to the Isle of Capri
- Explore the historical city of Palermo in Sicily – one of the most beautiful cities in Sicily!
- Admire the flora and fauna and views on the Via Krupp at Giardini di Augusto in Capri
- Hike up an active volcano (or ski down it in winter) on Mount Etna in Sicily
- Row a boat into the Blue Grotto (Grotta Azzurra) of Capri
- Try traditional cannoli in Sicily
- Hike down 376 steps down a cliffside to sunbathe at the beach club amongst the rocks at La Fontelinaon Capri
- Climb up the cliffside along the Phoenician Steps in Capri
- Hire a boat and sail around the beautiful coastline of Sardinia
- Visit the beautiful island of Elba, famed for being Napoleon’s place of exile in the 1814
- Hike or visit the mountainour villages of the entroterra of Sardinia
- Watch the sun go down from the white cliffs of Scala dei Turchi
- Climb 600 steps down a cliffside to find Neptune’s Cave on Sardinia
- Visit the ruins of an ancient Greek Amphitheatre in Taormina, Sicily
- Catch the chair lift up Monte Solaro for an amazing view over the Isle of Capri and Sorrento
- Visit the Baroque cities in Sicily
Have we missed a spot? Can you recommend any other great Italy Bucket List ideas for other visitors to check out, let us know in the comments below!
Map of Italian Bucket List Items
We’ve created a handy Italy Bucket List Map to help you plan your trip! The map is accessible via Google Maps so you can save to your phone and access it on-the-go using the Google Maps app.
This map features all the best things to do in Italy and places mentioned in this article, plus many more.
To get free access to this map and use it on-the-go, click here to sign up to our Travel Resource Library. Plus, you’ll get access to tons of other useful freebies such as packing lists, destination bucket lists, and itineraries.
Download This Italy Bucket List for FREE!
Subscribe to our monthly newsletter and as a special bonus only available to subscribers, you’ll get free access to our printable Italy Bucket List!
You’ll also get exclusive access to a ton of free and useful travel resources including printable bucket lists, travel packing and preparation check lists, detailed travel itineraries, and detailed maps to access on-the-go directly from the Google Maps app on your phone!
Enter your details below (don’t worry, we won’t spam you) and check your inbox for more details!This form is currently undergoing maintenance. Please try again later.
Ready to Book Your Trip to Italy?
Italy is one of the world’s top Bucket List Destinations. With so much culture, history, great food, and amazing sites, there’s 101 reasons to visit ASAP! We hope this Italy Bucket List has helped you to plan your next trip.
To make the most of your trip, be sure to check out current travel advice by visiting the Official Tourism Italia website and check out our other Italy travel blog articles.
Looking for accommodation in italy?
We use and recommend Booking.com and Hotels.com or Agoda to book accommodation in Italy, as they all offer a price match guarantee, free cancellation on most bookings, as well as other benefits and special deals for members. Use the search box below to find the best rates on accommodation in Italy!Booking.com
Why not check out our other travel bucket lists from amazing destinations around the world?
Enjoy your trip to Italy!
Feeling inspired? Here are 10 amazing destinations you must add to your Travel Bucket List!
Planning a trip soon? Here’s a list of the websites we use for booking our trips:
- Skyscanner for the best flight deals
- Booking.com for the best rates on hotels
- HomeAway for the best price on apartment and home rentals
- Rentalcars.com for quick and easy car rentals
- Luxury Escapes | Expedia for luxury package holiday deals and tours
- Get Your Guide | Klook | Viator for booking day tours and attraction tickets
- Tourradar for a wide selection of multi-day tours
- Safety Wing for the most comprehensive worldwide travel insurance
Did You Know? We use ads and affiliate links on this website. When you click through and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission (at no extra cost to you), that helps us pay the bills to keep running this blog as a free resource. We only recommend products we use ourselves. If you’re planning to book a trip soon, please consider clicking through the links above, so that we can continue to provide free travel guides, just like this one! Please see our Disclosure Policy for more details.
About the Author:
Amanda Twine is the founder and creator of Bucket List Seekers – a luxury travel blog sharing informative travel guides, food guides, hotel reviews, itineraries, and tips about how to make luxury travel more affordable.