Are you looking for an exciting destination to add to your travel bucket list? Look no further than Spain!
With its vibrant culture, stunning beaches, rich history, and incredible food, Spain has something to offer every type of traveler. There are stunning historical cities to explore in Spain, mountains to scale, and incredible islands to chill out on.
Create your own Spain Bucket List using our inspiration below!
In this post, we’ll explore some must-see destinations and experiences to add to your Spain bucket list. Whether you’re a foodie, a history buff, or simply looking to relax on the beach for a weekend, Spain has it all. So, grab a glass of sangria and let’s dive in!
Here are 215+ Bucket List Experiences to Enjoy in Spain!
Related Articles You Might Like:
Did You Know? We use ads to help pay the bills so we can continue to publish free travel advice. We also have affiliate partnerships, so when you click through and make a purchase or book your stay from one of our blog posts, we may receive a small commission (at no extra cost to you). Thank you for supporting Bucket List Seekers! Read our Disclosure Policy for more details.
In This Post:
Map of Spain Bucket List Items
We’ve created a handy Spain Bucket List Map to help plan your trip. We’ve created the map using Google Maps so you can save to your phone and access it on-the-go using the Google Maps app.
The map below features all the top Spain experiences mentioned in this article, plus many more. To get free access to this map to use on-the-go, plus tons of additional useful travel freebies, click here to sign up to our Travel Resource Library.
215+ Spain Bucket List Experiences
If you don’t have time to scroll through all these 215+ Spain experiences right now, don’t worry. We totally get it. We’ve put together a handy two-page checklist for you to download instead – take it with you on your trip and tick off items as you go!
Click here to head to our resource library and download the checklist now or keep on reading about our recommendations of the best bucket list things to do in Spain.
Barcelona Bucket List
Barcelona is a city known for quirky design, medieval architecture, lively cultural scene, and amazing food!
As one of the most unique destinations in the world, it’s a place that has to be seen to be believed.
Barcelona is usually the first place most people go to when they visit Spain and there are so many bucket list things to do there, here’s our top picks:
- Climb to the top of Sagrada Familia and admire Antoni Gaudi’s life’s work at the world’s quirkiest basilica.
- See the dragon on top of Casa Batlló at night – one of the most unique residential buildings in Europe.
- Visit another one of Antoni Gaudi’s iconic creations – the UNESCO listed Casa Milá.
- See 4000 famous works of art by Pablo Picasso at the Picasso Museum.
- Admire the colourful mosaics and watch the sunset at Park Güell
- Take a wander through the medieval streets of the Barri Gòtic (Gothic Quarter).
- Learn how to dance the flamenco.
- Relax at Barcelona’s most famous beach – Barceloneta Beach – and check out the famous beach bars.
- Try the city’s best Paella at a restaurant in Barceloneta (try 7 Portes), or enjoy a paella cooking class.
- Wander through the vibrant La Boqueria Markets.
- Enjoy the attractions at Montjuïc, catch the cable car, watch the magic fountain show, or visit the museums and castles.
- Soak up the cosmopolitan vibe of Gràcia neighbourhood.
- Enjoy typical Catalan cuisine on a Barcelona food tour.
- Take a stroll down the iconic La Rambla street.
- Admire the views of Barcelona from the top of Montserrat Mountain.
- Watch the Magic Fountain show at Plaza Espanya.
- Spend an afternoon in the trendy El Born neighborhood.
- Relax on the Barceloneta Beach and soak up the sun.
- Learn about Barcelona’s history at the Catalan National Museum of Art.
- Attend a football match at Camp Nou stadium.
- Take a bike tour of the city and see the sights from a different perspective.
- Visit the Hospital de Sant Pau, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Walk around the Port Vell and admire the boats.
- Explore the history of the Olympic Games at the Olympic Museum.
- Learn about Barcelona’s maritime history at the Maritime Museum.
- Go on a wine tour and taste the local Catalan wines.
- Spend an afternoon at the Tibidabo amusement park.
- Take a day trip to the medieval city of Girona.
- Visit the Barcelona Aquarium and see the marine life.
- Learn about Catalan art at the Joan Miro Foundation.
- Take a guided tour of the Palau de la Musica Catalana.
- Walk around the charming neighborhood of Gracia.
- Visit the National Art Museum of Catalonia and its Romanesque art.
- Take a day trip to the charming seaside town of Sitges.
Madrid Bucket List
The bustling city of Madrid is the traditional beating heart of the country and one place that must be experienced for every visitor to Spain. It is the capital and the largest city in Spain and has a rich history of art and culture, making it a must-visit place on anyone’s Spanish Bucket List.
Here are 30 amazing activities to experience in Madrid:
- Take a tour inside the Royal Palace of Madrid, the largest palace in Western Europe, and its gardens.
- Stroll through the beautiful gardens at Retiro Park.
- Admire the Spanish artworks at Museo del Prado.
- Take a walk down buzzing Gran Vía, the city’s main shopping street.
- Sample Spanish Churros at Chocalateria San Ginès.
- Soak up the cafe and people-watching vibes of Plaza Mayor.
- Sample the gastronomic delights and tapas bars at Mercado San Miguel.
- Admire the stunning artwork at the Prado Museum.
- Watch a flamenco show in a traditional tablao.
- Wander around the trendy Malasaña neighborhood.
- Visit the Reina Sofia Museum of contemporary art.
- Enjoy the sunset at the Temple of Debod, an ancient Egyptian temple.
- Take a guided tour of the Santiago Bernabeu Stadium, home to Real Madrid.
- Explore the Puerta del Sol, the bustling center of Madrid.
- Watch a bullfight at the Plaza de Toros de Las Ventas.
- Visit the National Archaeological Museum.
- Attend a concert or performance at the Teatro Real.
- Explore the hip Chueca neighborhood, known for its LGBTQ+ scene.
- Take a food tour and sample some of Madrid’s best cuisine.
- Visit the Sorolla Museum, dedicated to the works of Joaquín Sorolla.
- Watch a movie in the beautiful Cine Doré, a historic cinema.
- Explore the Monastery of San Lorenzo de El Escorial, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Visit the Royal Botanic Garden of Madrid.
- Wander through the historic streets of La Latina.
- See the Egyptian temple of Debod at night, when it’s lit up.
- Take a cooking class and learn to make traditional Spanish dishes.
- Visit the Museum of Romanticism.
- Explore the Madrid Río park along the Manzanares River.
- Visit the Cerralbo Museum, a stunning 19th-century palace.
- Take a guided tour of the Almudena Cathedral, Madrid’s stunning cathedral.
Central Spain Bucket List
Central Spain, also known as the Castilla-La Mancha region, is a high plateau surrounded by mountains. It’s home to Spain’s capital city, Madrid, as well as other well-known tourist destinations such as, Toledo, Cuenca, and Segovia.
Less frequented than other regions in Spain, however these activities earned a spot on this Spain Bucket List:
- Visit the stunning Roman aqueduct in Segovia, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Explore the Àvila de los Caballeros (The Walls of Avila) – one of the most well preserved medieval towns in Europe, also a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Visit the Monasterio de San Juan de los Reyes in Toledo.
- Admire the ancient Roman archeological sites in Mérida.
- Visit the Royal Monastery of San Lorenzo de El Escorial, a grand palace and UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- See the stunning castle of Coca, an impressive example of Spanish Gothic-Mudéjar architecture.
- Take a stroll through the historic town of Cuenca and admire its hanging houses.
- Visit the Alcázar of Segovia, a castle that dates back to the 12th century.
- Explore the city of Salamanca, known for its stunning Plaza Mayor and historic university.
- Visit the Palace of La Granja de San Ildefonso, a royal palace with stunning gardens.
- Take a trip to the Sierra de Gredos, a mountain range with breathtaking scenery and outdoor activities like hiking and skiing.
Eastern Spain Bucket List
Some of the best Spain experiences are found in the eastern side of the country. This region offers something for every traveler.
For culture seekers, the historic cities of Barcelona, Valencia and Alicante offer a wealth of museums, galleries and architecture. For outdoor adventurers, the beautiful landscape provides many opportunities for hiking, biking, climbing and water sports. Be sure to tick these items off your bucket list when you visit:
- Explore the beautiful golden sand beaches and cliffs of the Costa Brava.
- Enjoy a tour of the Abbey of Montserrat or go hiking through Monserrat National Park.
- Go sailing along the Spanish Mediterranean Coast.
- Tour Game of Thrones shooting locations around Girona.
- Visit the Dalí Thearte-Museum in Figueres.
- Explore the futuristic Ciudad de las Artes y las Ciencias (City of the Arts and Sciences) in Valencia.
- Try ‘horchata’ in Valencia – a popular non-alcoholic drink made from tiger nut.
- Get messy at La Tomatina (tomato throwing festival) in the town of Bunol.
- Secure a booking at the three-Michelin starred (and winner of best restaurant in the world in 2013 and 2015) – El Cellar de Can Roca in Girona.
- Explore the white-washed buildings and beautiful beaches of Alicante.
- Take a trip to the beautiful beach town of Denia, known for its historic castle and stunning coastline.
- Visit the Albufera Natural Park, a wetland area near Valencia with beautiful scenery and wildlife.
- Explore the charming coastal town of Peñíscola, known for its historic castle and beautiful beaches.
- Visit the town of Morella, a well-preserved medieval town with a stunning castle and walls.
- Take a trip to the Ebro Delta Natural Park, a wetland area with unique flora and fauna.
- Visit the stunning Cave of Altamira, a UNESCO World Heritage Site with ancient cave paintings.
- Take a trip to the charming town of Altea, known for its beautiful beaches, white-washed buildings, and stunning sea views.
Southern Spain Bucket List
Southern Spain is one of the most popular areas in Spain for tourists to visit. It is a beautiful and captivating region that is home to some of the most stunning landscapes in the country. Southern Spain is great for those who want to experience outdoor activities, like hiking, biking, or exploring the stunning architecture. And who could forget the food…
Here is a list of the best things to see and do around Southern Spain:
- Enjoy tapas, a Spanish dish originating in Andalusia in southern Spain.
- Explore the stunning Alhambra Palace in Granada, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Discover the famous Game of Thrones filming location – Alcázar castle in Seville, a royal palace with stunning gardens.
- Go on a food tour through Granada.
- Go mountain biking or hiking (or skiing) in the Sierra Nevada.
- Visit the picturesque town of Ronda, known for its dramatic gorge (Puente Nuevo) and historic bullring.
- Watch a flamenco show in Seville.
- Go canyoning at Junta de los Rios in Andalusia.
- Hike to the peak of Mulhacèn – the highest peak on the Spanish mainland.
- Go hiking along the breathtaking Caminito del Rey (Kings Pathway), a narrow walkway along a gorge in Málaga.
- Explore the historic city of Toledo.
- Stay at one of the beautiful beach resorts on the Costa del Sol.
- Explore the Ruta de los Pueblos Blancos (white pueblo villages) perched on the Sierras in Andalusia.
- Explore beautiful El Pópulo, the baroque old town of Cádiz, and peek inside the Cádiz Cathedral.
- Take a trip to the stunning white village of Mijas, known for its charming narrow streets and sea views.
- Explore the historic town of Cordoba, known for its stunning Mezquita-Catedral.
- Visit the beautiful beach town of Nerja, known for its stunning coastline and natural caves.
- Enjoy the beaches and nightlife of the popular tourist destination of Marbella.
- Visit the beautiful town of Frigiliana, known for its white-washed buildings and colorful flowers.
- Take a trip to the charming village of Vejer de la Frontera, known for its stunning views and well-preserved Moorish architecture.
- Visit the beautiful Plaza de España in Seville, a stunning example of Spanish Renaissance architecture.
- Explore the beautiful natural park of Sierra de Grazalema, known for its stunning mountains and hiking trails.
- Take a trip to the stunning white village of Zahara de la Sierra, known for its stunning views and beautiful castle.
- Visit the historic town of Antequera, known for its stunning architecture and prehistoric Dolmens.
- Explore the charming town of Almuñécar, known for its beautiful beaches and historic castle.
- Visit the beautiful natural park of Cabo de Gata, known for its stunning coastline and wildlife.
- Take a trip to the stunning white village of Monda, known for its beautiful castle and mountain views.
- Explore the historic town of Baeza, a UNESCO World Heritage Site known for its stunning Renaissance architecture.
- Visit the beautiful city of Jaen, known for its stunning cathedral, castle, and olive oil.
Northern Spain Bucket List
A little less frequented by tourists is Northern Spain. Known for its picturesque coastal towns, renowned architectural and cultural landmarks, and amazing food and wine. A visit to the Northern region of Spain offers an array of activities to suit all interests and is a must on any Bucket List Seekers Spanish itinerary.
Here are our top experiences in Northern Spain:
- Hike the scenic Rita del Cares in the Picos de Europa National Park.
- Visit the vineyards and cellar doors of the Basque wine region, La Rioja.
- Explore the pre-Romanesque churches of Orviedo.
- Discover the quirky post-modern Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao, known for its modern art and architecture.
- Hike the Camino de Santiago trail.
- Go mountain biking or hiking in the unique countryside Navarra.
- Admire the Roman structures of Las Mèdulas.
- Explore the stunning white sand beaches and blue waters of Galacia’s coastline.
- Admire the stunning coastline in San Juan de Gaztelugatxe (also a famous Game of Thrones film location).
- Visit the beautiful seaside town of San Sebastián and enjoy pintxos.
- Discover the budget-friendly ski resorts in the Spanish Pyrenees.
- Take a trip to the Picos de Europa National Park, known for its stunning mountains and hiking trails.
- Explore the historic city of Santiago de Compostela, known for its stunning cathedral and pilgrimage route.
- Visit the charming town of Santillana del Mar, known for its well-preserved medieval architecture.
- Take a trip to the beautiful coastal town of Comillas, known for its stunning beaches and Gaudi architecture.
- Visit the beautiful city of Gijon, known for its beaches, cider, and seafood.
- Take a trip to the stunning Covadonga Sanctuary, a Catholic pilgrimage site in the mountains of Asturias.
- Explore the beautiful medieval town of Hondarribia, known for its stunning views and Basque cuisine.
- Visit the charming town of Cudillero, known for its colorful houses and seafood.
- Take a trip to the stunning Flysch cliffs in the Basque Country, known for their geological significance and beautiful scenery.
- Visit the historic town of Lugo, known for its well-preserved Roman walls.
- Explore the charming town of Ribadesella, known for its beautiful beaches and dinosaur footprints.
- Take a trip to the stunning Ordesa y Monte Perdido National Park, known for its stunning mountains and hiking trails.
Spanish Islands Bucket List
When it comes to islands in Europe, you’ll be spoilt for choice in Spain. The beauty of Spain’s islands easily rivals the Greek Islands, but you’ll find a little more diversity with the Spanish islands.
From the pristine beaches and turquoise waters of the Balearic Islands to the incredible volcanic landscapes and lush forests of the Canary Islands. Here are 27 must-do experiences on Spain’s Islands:
- Explore the stunning beaches and crystal-clear waters of Ibiza.
- Visit the charming town of Ciutadella in Menorca, known for its stunning architecture and historic center.
- Hike Mount Teide, an active volcano in Tenerife.
- Take a trip to the beautiful island of Formentera, known for its peaceful beaches and turquoise waters.
- Visit the beautiful island of Cabrera, a nature reserve with stunning beaches and hiking trails.
- Take a boat tour of the stunning cliffs and caves of the island of Sa Dragonera.
- Visit the remote Cies Islands.
- Go on a day trip to S’Espalmador Island.
- Discover Ses Salines Park on Formentera.
- Explore the historic center of Palma de Mallorca, known for its stunning cathedral and charming old town.
- Go snorkelling in the Medes Islands Natural Marine Reserve.
- Discover the stunning beaches of Menorca, such as the Cala Macarella.
- Explore the charming town of Arrecife in Lanzarote, known for its stunning beaches and seafood.
- Visit the beautiful island of La Gomera, known for its stunning hiking trails and unique whistle language.
- Take a trip to the stunning island of El Hierro, known for its volcanic landscapes and clear skies for stargazing.
- Go wine tasting in Mallorca.
- Visit the beautiful island of Gran Canaria, known for its stunning beaches and sand dunes.
- Explore the historic center of Santa Cruz de Tenerife, known for its stunning architecture and vibrant Carnival celebrations.
- Visit the beautiful island of La Palma, known for its stunning national park and hiking trails.
- Climb to the top of Roque de los Muchachos on La Palma and visit the astronomical observatory.
- Admire the dramatic landscapes of the volcanos and lava fields at Parque Nacional de Timanfaya, Lanzarote.
- Explore the impressive volcanic underwater landscapes of Gran Canaria at El Cabrón Marine Reserve.
- Take a day trip to unspoiled Isla Lobos from Fuerteventura.
- Take a boat tour of the stunning cliffs and coves of the island of Menorca.
- Experience the party vibe in Ibiza and see some of the worlds most famous DJs live.
- Take a trip to the stunning island of La Graciosa, known for its peaceful beaches and natural beauty.
- Explore the charming town of Mahon in Menorca, known for its stunning harbor and historic architecture.
Spanish Food Bucket List
No Spain bucket list would be complete without eating your way around this food lovers paradise. The list of gastronomic delights to experience in Spain is simply endless, but here’s some of our favourites that you must try:
- Paella – a rice dish cooked with saffron, seafood, chicken, or vegetables.
- Tortilla Española – a traditional Spanish omelet made with potatoes and onions.
- Gazpacho – a cold soup made with tomatoes, peppers, onions, garlic, and olive oil.
- Churros – deep-fried dough pastry served with hot chocolate for dipping.
- Croquetas – breaded and fried bites filled with ham, cheese, or vegetables.
- Patatas Bravas – fried potatoes served with a spicy tomato sauce.
- Pisto – a vegetable stew made with tomatoes, peppers, onions, and zucchini.
- Cocido – a hearty stew made with meat, vegetables, and chickpeas.
- Fabada Asturiana – a bean and sausage stew from Asturias.
- Escudella – a Catalan stew made with meat, vegetables, and pasta.
- Fideuà – a noodle dish similar to paella but with noodles instead of rice.
- Empanadas – baked or fried pastry filled with meat, vegetables, or cheese.
- Pollo al ajillo – chicken cooked with garlic and white wine.
- Gambas al ajillo – shrimp cooked with garlic and olive oil.
- Pisto Manchego – a version of the vegetable stew from La Mancha.
- Migas – a dish made with fried bread crumbs, garlic, and paprika.
- Cochinillo asado – roasted suckling pig, typically served in Segovia.
- Salmorejo – a cold soup similar to gazpacho but thicker and made with bread crumbs.
- Albóndigas – Spanish meatballs typically served in a tomato sauce.
- Huevos a la flamenca – baked eggs with tomatoes, peppers, and onions.
- Tostadas con tomate – toasted bread rubbed with tomato and olive oil.
- Calamares a la romana – deep-fried squid rings served with lemon.
- Pimientos de Padrón – small green peppers fried and served with salt.
- Ensaladilla rusa – Russian-style potato salad with tuna, peas, and mayonnaise.
- Zarzuela de mariscos – a seafood stew typically served in Catalonia.
- Turrón – a traditional almond and honey nougat typically served around Christmas.
- Crema Catalana – a Catalan dessert similar to crème brûlée.
- Arroz con bogavante – a rice dish made with lobster, typically found in coastal regions.
- Tostadas con aceite y jamón – toasted bread topped with olive oil and cured ham.
- Pulpo a la gallega – octopus cooked with paprika and olive oil, typically found in Galicia.
- Lechazo – roasted lamb typically found in Castilla y León.
- Ensalada de pimientos asados – a salad made with roasted peppers, onions, and tomatoes.
- Berenjenas con miel – fried eggplant drizzled with honey, typically found in Andalusia.
- Fabes con almejas – a bean and clam stew typically found in Asturias.
- Solomillo al whisky – pork tenderloin cooked with whisky and cream.
- Sopa de ajo – garlic soup made with bread, typically found in Castilla y León.
- Caldo gallego – a hearty soup made with beans, potatoes, and pork, typically found in Galicia.
- Zarangollo – a dish from Murcia made with zucchini, onions, and eggs.
- Torta del Casar – a creamy sheep’s milk cheese from Extremadura.
- Cojonudos – mini toasts topped with fried quail eggs and cured ham.
- Salmorejo de Remolacha – a variation of the traditional salmorejo soup made with beetroot.
- Pollo al chilindrón – chicken cooked in a tomato and pepper sauce.
- Fresas con nata – strawberries with whipped cream, a popular dessert.
- Queso de Cabrales – a blue cheese from Asturias made from cow, goat, and sheep milk.
- Cordero asado – roast lamb, a classic dish in Castilla-La Mancha.
- Arroz caldoso – a soupy rice dish made with seafood, chicken, or vegetables.
- Patatas a la Riojana – potatoes cooked with chorizo, onions, and red pepper, typical of La Rioja region.
Have we missed a spot? Can you recommend any other great Spain Bucket List ideas for other visitors to check out, let us know in the comments below!
Download This Spain Bucket List for FREE + Access Loads of Other Travel Resources!
Are you planning a trip to Spain soon? Subscribe to our monthly newsletter and as a special bonus only available to subscribers, you’ll get free access to our printable Spain Bucket List!
You’ll also get exclusive access to a ton of free and useful travel resources including printable bucket lists, travel packing and preparation check lists, detailed travel itineraries, and detailed maps to access on-the-go directly from the Google Maps app on your phone!
Enter your details below (don’t worry, we won’t spam you) and check your inbox for more details!This form is currently undergoing maintenance. Please try again later.
Ready to Book Your Trip to Spain?
Spain is one of the world’s top Bucket List Destinations. We hope this Spain Bucket List has given you loads of idea of what to do on your next trip.
To make the most of your trip, be sure to check out what’s on in Spain by visiting the official Spanish Tourism website. And don’t forget to take a look at our other articles from amazing places we’ve visited in Spain:
- 13 of the Most Beautiful Cities in Spain to Visit or Live
- 9 of the Best Islands in Spain (that aren’t Ibiza)
- 11 Picture-Perfect Places for a Weekend in Spain (that’s not Barcelona or Madrid)
Looking for Somewhere to Stay in Spain?
Use the search box below to take advantage of the Booking.com Best Price Guarantee and get the best rates on accommodation in Spain!
Last but not least… Have a great trip to Spain!
Feeling inspired? Here are 10 amazing destinations you must add to your Travel Bucket List!
Planning a trip soon? Here’s a list of the websites we use for booking our trips:
- Skyscanner for the best flight deals
- Booking.com for the best rates on hotels
- HomeAway for the best price on apartment and home rentals
- Rentalcars.com for quick and easy car rentals
- Luxury Escapes | Expedia for luxury package holiday deals and tours
- Get Your Guide | Klook | Viator for booking day tours and attraction tickets
- Tourradar for a wide selection of multi-day tours
- Safety Wing for the most comprehensive worldwide travel insurance
Did You Know? We use ads and affiliate links on this website. When you click through and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission (at no extra cost to you), that helps us pay the bills to keep running this blog as a free resource. We only recommend products we use ourselves. If you’re planning to book a trip soon, please consider clicking through the links above, so that we can continue to provide free travel guides, just like this one! Please see our Disclosure Policy for more details.